Post by Jimena Golcher-Benavides
Fig. 1. Dietary flexibility of cichlid fishes during a feeding frenzy over juvenile clupeids. On the left, the width of the flow bars represents the number of species (species richness) within functional groups feeding on juvenile fish or present during the feeding frenzy event and on the right, the width represents the relative abundance within functional groups. Light colors represent functional groups that were present but not attacking juvenile fish; bold colors represent species that were feeding on the clupeid schools (herbivorous feeding guild is color coded in green, omnivorous in yellow and carnivorous in orange). Credit: © Jimena Golcher-Benavides, 2018
I made this figure (Fig.1) for a scientific publication or to accompany a scientific talk. My main objective with this figure was to condense observational data collected underwater during an unusual feeding frenzy event in Lake Tanganyika, East Africa.
This figure was generated using the package Alluvial (Bojanowski and Edwards 2016) in R, version 3.4.2 (R Core Team 2013).
To generate this figure, I searched “plot types in r” on google images and at first something called a “chord diagram” struck me as an attractive way to represent various categorical variables. However, after some trouble-shooting, I realized that this was not appropriate for my kind of data.
Post by Jesse Alston
There are two basic problems that conservation biologists run into when trying to conserve a species:
I study bats, so I constantly find myself dealing with the latter category of conservation threat. People hate bats. "They’re gross, they’re ugly, they have big sharp teeth, they carry rabies, they get tangled in your hair, etc. How can you not hate them?"
To combat this sort of attitude, I set out to make a visual using some newly realized skills. Step 1 was making a potentially scary animal cuddly, so I went and searched for images of potentially scary things that were made indisputably cuddly. They weren’t hard to find.
Post by Q Quallen
This image was intended as a crossover between a public service announcement and a scientific comedy. The target audience was the local Laramie public, specifically those involved with public lands.
Given this context, I believe I did fairly well in achieving my goal, particularly in the area of raising awareness. Knowing the Laramie public, however, who are typically looking for ways to take action, I feel I could have done a better job informing them as to how and why chipmunks matter in the local ecosystem.
Post by Alexis Lester
This is the first image I created for this class, and it remains my favorite. I wanted to make a stand alone image that people could read and understand, without a science background and without me standing next to them and defining every single image and term.
Post by Benjamin Robb
The proximate goal here was to make a collage framework similar to a visual essay on the pudding.cool site; a vertical oriented essay with a column for visuals and a column for captions.
The ultimate goal is to help show why we study pronghorn migrations and how roads affect these movements.
A blog and website by graduate students from science disciplines and departments throughout the University of Wyoming. We hope you connect with our science communication and engagement efforts. Please let us know what you think of the site!